Thursday, June 14, 2007

Emily

In just a few days I will begin my trip across the United States to raise money for diabetes research.

Emily, 17, our youngest daughter, was diagnosed as a type-1 diabetic in March, 2005--0ne of the darkest times our family has ever faced.

Still, we consider ourselves "lucky." Emily had been healthy all during her childhood; and we could feel for those whose children were diagnosed earlier. Emily was old enough to give herself her own shots...old enough to understand what risks were involved...but not so old she wasn't scared.

We have been lucky since, too. Our daughter has never once let a complaint slip between her lips. She knew from the start that being diabetic would change her life and might change her future. So she set her mind on making the best of a bad situation. I will have more to say about her in future postings. For now I can only say that her mother and I are very proud of her.

Here are a few basics of my plan. I have a family reunion in New Jersey the weekend of June 15-17. The next day my brother drops me off along the coast. Bicycling tradition says you should dip your back wheel in the ocean where you start--and dip your front wheel in the ocean where you finish. I expect to complete my trip to Oregon in roughly two months.

Loveland community support has been tremendous. I have raised a little more than $10,000 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Anyone who would like to donate may make out a check to JDRF.

Send checks to my home address:

John Viall
750 Woodbine Avenue
Glendale, Ohio 45246

2 comments:

carol and paul viall said...

Hi John---We think of you everyday---and we are following your course on the road atlas! We are in awe! The entire Viall-Kearnan Reunion crowd is behind you. We're glad that we got to spend the 3 pre-ride days with you! Lucky Emily to have you! Love, Carol and Paul

Unknown said...

John: I echo Carol and Paul's comments; we are in awe. And, for such an old codger (ha; as I said, if you'd quit protesting how old you are, we would not realize it). You are such an inspiration, and you family (and Emily) should be so proud of you. God Speed, as they say. I watch daily for your blog updates - I, and we all, wish you great scenery, good times and lots of new friends along the way. We hope to see you in Oregon in not too many weeks! Your old, old, ollllllllllllddddddddd brother, Tim.