Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Only 4,000 miles to go

I'm sitting here in a Virginia library, sweating nicely, on my third day of riding.

So far my trip is about what I expected. That is: a realtively in-shape person of advanced age will suffer to get into shape.

My brother Ned dropped me off around noon on June 18 on the Jersey shore and I dipped my back tire in the Atlantic as required by tradition. Two months later I hope to dip the front tire in the Pacific. A pretty young lifeguard asked where I was going. I replied, "Oregon," with a smile. She returned my smile and wished me luck. But secretly I suspect she took one look at my physique and thought, "No chance in the world!"

Heading south with a good following wind I made 72 miles down the coast. As expected there were no hills, though heat was a factor. I crossed Delaware Bay on a ferry (another 15 miles) and rode through the Eastern Shore to Salisbury, Maryland.

Everyone I talk to has been nice, especially when I tell them I'm riding to raise money for juvenile diabetes research. At a fruit stand in Delaware the owner brought me her special chair and set it down in the shade where I could rest. At 6:00 p.m. I stopped in Millsboro, Delaware at a restaurant serving breakfast all day. When I told the hostess I hoped to ride to Oregon and was raising money for diabetes she shook my hand. Then she called two waitress over to inform them about what I was doing. After polishingoff a pile of pancakes I logged twenty-seven more miles and found a hotel before dark in Salisbury, Maryland.

The second day was uneventful--but roasting hot. I felt like I was riding in a sauna. For those interested in a beach home I can say that reports in the Eastern Shore papers indicate this region is booming. You heard it here first.

I also read in USA Today that 12% of all health spending in the country goes to diabetic care: $80 billion dollars out of $645 billion. I hope JDRF can help find a cure soon.

At any rate, I can also reveal another travel tip to those planning to visit the Eastern Shore. DO NOT plan to use the ferry which crosses the Chesapeake Bay from Crisfield, Maryland to Reedville, Virginia. AAA maps indicate it will work; but the ferry carries passengers only and runs once a day. Unfortunately, I missed the trip on the 19th and ground to a stop after only 49 miles.

Today I finally managed to cross over to Tangier Island at 12:30. There you catch a second boat at 2:00 to finish the passage to Virginia. It was a picturesque island and I talked to several interesting locals, as well as a young man who had just finished boot camp at Parris Island.

I will say more about that; but I want to get riding. It's 7:30 in the evening and I have ten miles to go to the nearest campground.

2 comments:

TrishaK said...

Nice work on the blog postings so far, John. I look forward to keeping up with where you have been, are now, and are headed over the next couple of months. If you need help posting pictures, let me know. My thoughts are with you!
:o)Trisha

cincybobcat said...

Hey Mr. Viall! Glad to see everything is going well. Make sure you keep us updated. Hope everything goes well for you and make sure you let us know when you come back through!