Monday, July 9, 2007

Back on the Road

It was fun to be home for a few days but hard to leave. Riding all day tends to focus your thoughts: and I realized how anxious I was to get home a few days ago. My wife is one of the finest individuals I have ever known and it was good to see Emily. The morning I left for the second leg of my journey, however, Emily was subdued. I think she worries about me; but I know I worry more about her than anything.

She means the world to her mother and me.

Weather has been tough the last four days, nineties and humid. At least once a day I ask myself, "What were you thinking when you hatched this plan?" Other bits of wisdom include, "I'm WAY too old for this!" "If a bus hit me, I'll be out of my misery!" "Maybe someone will steal my bike!" You get the idea.

The people I meet continue to be kind. Passing through Brookville, Indiana, I stopped to eat at the China House where locals told me the buffet was outstanding. (Correct.) As I chained my bicycle to a pole a gentleman named Ken Litchfield approached. "Are you the guy I saw on the news last night?" he asked. Like a defendant on a television drama, I admitted I was. Ken reached in his wallet and pulled out $20 for JDRF. Then he ran down the street and got his camera and took a picture for the local paper. He said he'd try to get a story posted and drum up donations.

Meanwhile, Anne called me to say that one of our neighbors donated $500 and so I'm fast approaching $11,000 raised.

I logged 80 miles on July 6, 83 on the 7th and 82 on the 8th. One night I camped in a cornfield after washing up in a stream.

The next day a preacher named Lester Solomon talked to me in a Dairy Queen in Seymour, Indiana. After hearing my story he took my hand and said a prayer for my well-being. That's the first time I ever prayed over ice cream. But I appreciate Reverend Solomon's kindness and prayers can't hurt.

One morning I passed a field and noticed all the cows were watching. Cows don't get out much and I imagine they're bored a lot. So I was something to watch, to give the brain something to work on, sort of like watching television for humans. I wonder what they were thinking. How sophisticated is the bovine brain?

Cow #1: Creature with shell on head. Not threat. Need to poo.
Cow #2: Human moving fast. Hope he crash.
Cow #3: I envy that rider his freedom. These other cows are morons. Oh well, nothing to do, except chew the cud.

I slept at a motel my second night out of Cincinnati. They had an exercise room and an eliptical machine. I decided I would pass.

On July 8 I met a fellow named Jack L. Hamilton, who asked a lot of questions--what was I carrying--any mechanical problems--what did I do for food--where did I stay--was it hard to ride alone. Jack's fiance, Theresa, was with him and she has a diabetic daughter, now 34, diagnosed her senior year. "I tell her all the time I think there will be a cure in her lifetime," she said. I agreed, and thinking of my own child, choked up.

The next couple of hours I rode hard--thinking about Emily.

That same afternoon I ran across a nice couple from Bloomington. They mentioned a friend who rode cross country with his sons, to raise money for cerebral palsy. This was years ago and one of the boys suffered from the disease, and used a recumbent bike. Again, when I'm plowing up some hill and feeling sorry for myself, I remember a LOT of people have steeper hills to climb every day.

Right now I'm a mile from the Wasbash River, and ready to cross into Illinois. A fellow in the library tells me it's 97 degrees with humidity at 77%. Based on how I've been wilting today, I believe him.

4 comments:

proudest monkey said...

John,
Keep on Truckin'! I think what you are doing is amazing and fantastic. I am also completely entertained by your blog.
I thought you were crazy as a social studies teacher, now with hours upon hours of alone time you are drumming up quite a humorous diary. Inspiring as well.
Keep on going...and going...and going.
Good luck!
Chris Burke

Unknown said...

Uncle John,

Wow - when my parents told me what you were doing I have to say I agreed with your wife and thought you were nuts to set out for 2 months+ on your bike. I'm so proud of you and what you're doing for Emily. Keep up the hard work and we're really enjoying the blogs. Stay safe and you're in our prayers!!!

Jenny

Judi Mc said...

OOH RAH!!

WOW! I've been meaning to "check in" and I finally caught up on your blog. I envy you for all the wonderful scenery, the array of characters and the freedom you're enjoying while tackling this HUGE project. WOW! just wow. I'll be sure to send the link to Phil. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Be Safe, and be strong,
Judi

Unknown said...

John,

You are really inspiring. It sounds like you enjoyed Indiana on the way through--God's country, you know! I can't even imagine how I would be able to do it. I wish I could send you some chocolate bars! Keep up the great work!

Erica Kramer