Saturday, July 21, 2007

I Hate Headwind

This will be a quick post because the library where I'm sitting closes in 27 minutes. It's 96 degrees outside and the winds have been blowing hard against me most of my time in Kansas. On top of that my cell phone quit working altogether. So I'm going to have a hard time keeping in touch with my family for a few days. SW Kansas isn't exactly a place with a lot of cell phone stores.

I am now on the American Cycling Association trail; so I have run into six or seven bicyclers--all headed east, mostly thin and young. One gentleman was my age, 52, and he had his wife following in an RV. It has been fun to share notes on what to expect, problems and pleasures, aches and pains (at least I have aches and pains).

People continue to be friendly. I ate breakfast at the Copper Oven in Osage City, Kansas a couple days ago. They had breakfast burritos and cinnamon rolls that were among the best I've ever eaten. It was worth fighting Kansas' perpetual head winds just to eat there. On top of that, the owner heard I was riding for diabetes and gave me my meal free.

As always, any savings go into the JDRF fund.

Kansas has a stark beauty I enjoy; but many towns are dying. I passed through Hillsboro and found out their McDonalds shuttered its doors a few months ago. Same thing happened in Lyons--but Lyons is experiencing a boom these days with a new ethanol plant and other construction.

Most mornings I start late because I talk too long at breakfast with the locals. Extra bacon and conversation seem more appealing than getting back in the saddle. At one stop I fell into a discussion with a gentleman named Lyle Foureau. He mentioned he liked reading history. So I recommended Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose, 1776 by David McCullough and a couple of other works. Lyle took notes and donated to JDRF.

I've camped out in the woods a couple of times and bathed in "Kansas bathtubs" (lakes along the road). Many areas of the state are still green due to heavy rains and Chase County had beautiful bluestem grass prairies. I spend a lot of time grungy and hot; but I can finally say I'm a little proud for getting this far.

Tomorrow I enter Colorado and hope to get my phone fixed in Pueblo.

A 78-year-old truck driver told me one morning about some of the sights in Kansas. It used to be you could go see the embalmed remains of a Civil War veteran, Samuel Dingle (I think was the name). "When I first saw him," he had a full beard and all," said my informant. "Then I went back a few years later and all his hair had fallen out. The parasites or something got him."

Well, I guess I didn't want to see Dingle anyway.

I am now a little more than halfway done with my trip (in miles anyway) and right about on schedule.

Still no flats, no mechanical problems, just hot and tired a lot.

I love my family and miss them very much.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

John:
Again, I remain in awe of your pursuit. Today, you enter Colorado and you're headed for the most compelling scenery (and, those daunting mountains, of course). Next time you post, please explain your reasons for the plan to turn norht, and head up to Wyomining and Montana, then into Idaho and the Oregon (you explained, but I forget why). We are actively following your progress and praying for your safe arrival to the Pacific. Go, brother! Tim

Odin's Word said...

Dad,

Your blog is very entertaining! And it is a comfort to know you're enjoying yourself, and, more importantly, you're safe! Mom and Sarah are great. However, I admit I have not been very helpful around the house. I've been working diligently to finish the final Harry Potter book so I can once again make myself somewhat useful. Adam is great, too but, unfortunately, he'll be leaving around the time you arrive home. I can't wait to see you!!

I love you,
Emily

Unknown said...

Glad to see that you're alive!

Margaret Fecker said...

Hey, John!

We are following your progress and I must say that after our "comfortable" bike ride last Sunday, I am even more impressed with what you are doing. I just can't get my mind around going up those mountains. I was complaining after a few small hills!

Leaving for Italy on Friday. Retirement is the best!

Margaret (and John)

ps Anna is headed for Harvard Law School in the fall...just found out. We are so proud of her! Dinner to celebrate both of your accomplishments when you get home!

Margaret Fecker said...

Hey, John!

We are following you and after our own "comfortable " bike ride on Sunday, I am even more impressed with what you are doing. Can't get my mind around going up those mountains. I was complaining about a few small hills! Leaving for Italy on Friday. Retirement is the best!!!

Margaret (and John)

mmiranda said...

John,
Caught your update on the news and then heard from Bethany about your blog. I've been reading through the adventures so far and can't wait to keep checking on your progress! Your determination amazes me! Keep it up - halfway there and so many people rooting for your safe return!
Take care!
Michelle Miranda

Unknown said...

John, Just re-read your latest post, and then the comments sent by your daughters and friends. One final commment to your latest post (you said) "no flats, no mechanical problems, just hot and tired a lot"... I might add: just what did you expect, riding 90 miles/day across the country in July and August, little brother??!! Again, God Speed, John! Tim