Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Riding in a Tutu

The last few days of riding have been awesome. The 26th I followed Route 24 up to Leadville, Colorado, two miles above sea level. I was worried about the climb and altitude but had no trouble and felt almost euphoric, enjoying the scenery and physical experience of being in the mountains. I managed to find a book store and bought two volumes of women's letters and diaries from the Oregon Trail. To finish off a perfect day I camped near a beautiful mountain stream. It was 55 degrees when I pulled into town; a pleasant change from the heat of Kansas and southern Colorado.

Strangers continue to be generous and kind. At the Buena Vista visitors center a woman gave $10 for JDRF. Then the ladies who worked there sent me to the Chafee County newspaper office and they wrote up a brief story about my trip.

When people see my picture circulation will double! (Or maybe not.)

The next day I dawdled before getting going. I tend to eat gigantic breakfasts and read the paper instead of getting out and riding. I followed Route 24 to the point where it strikes Interstate 70. Then I took a bike trail for several miles, meeting three teachers out for a ride. They were out in Colorado for a conference on teaching environmental issues throughout the curriculum. All three were friendly and I rode along slowly, happy to have someone to converse with. Robert, 39, and his wife are expecting their third child. Etna has worked in the private sector, usually for food/chemical companies but got tired of it and tried teaching--and loved her first year. Margaret was a third-year teacher from West Virginia. All seemed dedicated and we made an interesting quartet: one African-American (Robert), one Hispanic (Etna), one white woman (Margaret), and one geezer.

That would be me.

Rain stopped me that day. So I holed up in a motel. Since then I have been rolling. I rode 103 miles on July 28 ending up at Walden. Part of the route was gorgeous, following the Blue River. Then I hit a stretch of 62 miles with no stores--and made the mistake of carrying only two full water bottles.

I treated myself to a terrific prime rib dinner at the River Rock Cafe. Then I camped out in the city park.

The next day I did 97 miles and camped beside the North Platte River. I still haven't seen anyone going the same direction as me. But I met Robin Geary, a teacher from San Francisco, out for a 990 mile ride. Like me, she was going solo. She says her parents don't like it. So her brother suggested she tell them she was riding with "Bob and Ed," two "guys" she "met" along the way. We both laughed at that idea. I've been tempted to tell my wife the same thing.

Yesterday and this morning were a challenge. I had to cover the distance from Rawlins to Lander--about 130 miles--with some care. To sum up the terrain I can do no better than to quote a traveler on the Oregon Trail who passed the same way: "These everlasting hills have an everlasting curse of barrenness."

Frankly, I was nervous about this part of the trip. The entire route is sagebrush and without shade. You can stop at Grandma's Kitchen (32 miles from Rawlins), a store at Muddy Gap (46 miles) or a cafe at Jeffrey City (88 miles) and that's it. Them's the choices!

I happened to get a flat; and as I was fixing it up rode a young girl, Sarah Brigham, 22. She was heading down to Durango, Colorado, with her bike loaded and wearing a red and black tutu (which she made herself).

Now I'm in the library at Lander trying to ge this posted. They have a 1/2 hour limit on the computers. So I will have to take a break and add pictures later.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

John:

I cracked up with your comment about the "longest bicycle drop". What beautiful country - I picture you, today or tomorrow, heading up the Wind River Valley, then the Tetons and Yellowstone area, then into Montana - truly God's Country, despite those long mountain passes! Go, brother go. When you get closer to projecting your arrival into the greater Portland area, let all of us know. Ned and I, if we can manage the time, still hope to get up that way for your final days to the Oregon Pacific coast. We're pulling, and praying for your safe, final 1500 miles or so! Love, Tim V.

proudest monkey said...

John,
Wonderful entries. Good stuff, man. Loveland will be ready for your return, when that time comes. Erica and I were brainstorming what is to become of your bike after this trip. We assumed it would be bronzed and hung in your classroom. Please begin filling out the request paperwork now!!!
On a side note, my cousin, who is 12 has been living with diabetes for as long as I can remember. He is a cool dude and a fellow Glendale resident. In fact, his older brother is in the same circle of friends as your daughter. Keep up the good work...
Chris